MBA is a globally renowned and acclaimed degree hence you need to find out which MBA specialization best fits you to get your dream job. You also need to understand the career choices after MBA you have to achieve your career goal.
What are the career options post MBA courses?
Let me tell you that there are a lot of options you can opt for as higher studies after MBA to add value to your qualification and provide growth opportunities for yourself. You can also opt for jobs after MBA courses in India.
I am going to give you a brief idea about all the possible questions related to career choices after MBA in finance, marketing, human resources, operations, or logistics, which you may have in your mind.
Financial Management is a popular globally recognized MBA specialization that gives students the opportunity to work anywhere in the world with tremendous growth prospects in Retail Banking, Financial Services, Insurance sector, etc. It focuses mainly on planning, managing, and regulating the financial resources/assets of any industry/individual.
Are there any courses after MBA Finance?
There are some short term courses after MBA Finance, which you can opt for like Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Financial Risk Manager (FRM), Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Certified Management Accountant (CMA), etc. These courses create opportunities in the various MNCs established in India and corporations globally, for you whereas a CA cannot work.
Choosing any one of these would be a smart career choice after MBA.
What are the types of MBA Finance jobs available?
Here are some of the examples of MBA Finance jobs:
• Finance Advisor/Manager: Your main work will be advising your clients to manage their wealth, like where to invest money to get a maximum return which will help them to achieve their long term goals in achieving financial freedom.
• Banking: You need to analyze the financial market of the world and give financial advice to corporate, government, and other organizations on how to raise funds, mergers, acquisitions, etc.
• Business Analyst: You need to analyze various trends and requirements of a business/start-ups and convey the solutions/suggestions in a cost-effective way to the owners, stakeholders, etc. You will be dealing with Corporate Finance i.e. balancing risk, profitability, taking steps to maximize stock value, managing funds by choosing investment portfolios, etc.
Marketing Management is mainly about traditional marketing i.e. how to sell your ideas and thoughts. Your key goal will be branding, sales, distribution channels & techniques, market research, consumer behavior, etc.
With the world become digitally active, Digital Marketing is reaching new heights every now and then. Digital marketing is not taught in depth in the MBA. So if you want to do certification courses after MBA Marketing then Digital Marketing is the best option. The opportunity in Digital Marketing is going to be unlimited in the near future.
But if you believe in traditional marketing you can opt for some courses after MBA Marketing like- Sales Management, Merchandising, etc. to gain better knowledge and give it a good start.
Here are some of the job roles that you might opt for as a career choice after MBA in Marketing:
• Marketing Manager- Marketing Managers are the ones who create an image of the company in front of the consumers. A marketing manager plans a marketing strategy and also how to retain old customers.
• Brand Manager- A brand manager is responsible for the promotion and placement of the brands of a company and data collection of rival brands.
• Sales Manager- A sales manager is responsible for generating revenue for the firm by selling, distribution, after-sales service, etc. You also need to retain the existing customers as well.
• Product Manager- A product manager is responsible for launching new products and also to maintain the existing product line of the company. You will also be accountable for the profitability and market growth of the existing products.
• Market Research Analyst- A market research analyst is responsible for data collection, data analytics, conveying the data to the development team. So that a proper marketing strategy can be evolved.
• Advertisement Manager- An Advertisement manager/ media planner is responsible for advertising the products through different advertising channels like- TV, radio, newspaper, magazine, etc. and also to help the marketing team in meeting the targets.
• Digital Marketing Manager- Digital Marketers are responsible for web/online marketing avenues such as social media marketing, search engine marketing, email marketing, search engine optimization, content marketing, etc.
Human Resources (HR) management is basically the study of handling the human resource, the main thing a firm runs with and runs for. You need to go beyond the general knowledge and dive deeper to deal with Human Resources both inside and outside the firm.
There are some post MBA courses in HR like SHRM, HRCI, etc. which allow you to build capabilities as you go long. These are international certifications, so with these, you get global recognition.
HR Manager needs to focus on different sectors. They are:
• Training and Development- Maximizing the performance of the employees to accomplish the goals of the organization.
• Recruitment- talent acquisition, talent retention, onboarding formalities, etc. i.e. acquiring the right skills for the company.
• Performance Appraisal- Evaluating the work of the employees, understanding the need for improvement, promotion, etc.
Operations Management (OM) keeps refining and updating as practices and processes evolve so it requires the highest level of efficiency. The growth is limited for you in Operation Management, so you opt for after MBA courses in India like Six Sigma and Lean methodologies.
Types of jobs after MBA in Operations
• Operations Manager: Operations managers are responsible for handling the production/ manufacturing process daily and increasing the efficiency of the production. You will need to maintain product quality by optimum utilization of the available resources and time. You can join any of the sections like- Purchase management, Inventory management, vendor management, supply chain, logistics, and most importantly production management.
• IT Manager: These days’ productions and operations heavily on technology. So as an IT manager, you will be responsible for the maintenance and functioning of the IT infrastructure through Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP).
Logistics and Supply Chain Management is the management of goods and administration of origin and supply. It is one of the largest growing sectors and once you take such a specialization, you can choose profiles on the basis of your firm understanding such as Business Analytics, Data Engineering, etc. Take up a course for higher studies after an MBA which will help you to learn tools like Hadoop, Scala, Spark, etc. It will make you eligible for exciting profiles like Data Scientist, Data Engineer, etc.
There is two more career option after MBA courses:
You can become a professional teacher for MBA students in any subject in which you have done your specialization which is also one of the career choices after MBA courses. You need to appear for NET (National Eligibility Test) or SET (State Eligibility Test) to become a lecturer/professor at Colleges and Universities. NET is organized by the UGC and SET is organized by the State Government. You can join either as a full-time professor or an assistant professor.
• Business/ Start-up
You can always go ahead and start your own agency/ company providing solutions with your domain or any other business which you like/ really look up to. For starting a business you need a good team, plan, capital, etc, which as an MBA student, you can manage very well. For making a business/successful you need to have knowledge about almost everything like Marketing, HR skills, technical skills, etc. You definitely need to have leadership skills. So pursuing an MBA has definitely given you an extra edge on all the things required to start a business. But always remember that doing a business/ start-up is the most difficult option with great risk. You might or not succeed. But if you succeed you will definitely reach heights which you can’t reach by any of the above options.
Well here are some of the ways:
Freelancing means that you become self-employed and work for other firms/ individuals on a contract basis. You can do some of the freelancing work sitting back at home like giving consultancy support with your expertise in that domain. You can earn a handsome amount of money by doing only freelancing. You will also gain experience with the work by doing freelancing. You never know if your work is good, it will help you create more work for yourself which in return may help you earn your living.
You can become a Youtuber by posting self-made videos on different aspects of an MBA and your specialization on Youtube. You can spread your knowledge to millions of students through Youtube for free. The main twist is that you will be paid by Youtube if you can drive a certain number of viewers/views for your channel. There is a huge scope in this because there is a huge demand for MBA tutorial videos online. You may also try for some other platforms similar to YouTube.
You can just sit back home and become a private tutor for MBA (Marketing/ Hr/ Finance/ Operations/ Supply and Logistics Etc.) both Offline and Online if you are really interested in teaching. Chegg India is offering an online tutoring platform for you to teach and earn online without any investment. You can also join Chegg India as a Subject Matter Expert to answer academic questions asked by students on their Question & answer board called Chegg Study. You get paid for each question you answer but on a monthly basis. You may opt for subjects like operations management, finance, etc. Apart from these you may also avail of the other subjects, refer to the sign up button below. You need to give tests (maximum 2 attempts) on the subject you choose and pass with 60% marks with guidelines test and Document verification after that to enroll yourself as a subject matter expert. Joining Chegg is one of the best career choices after MBA for time if you are interested in teaching.
• Part-time Jobs
You can join in as an administrator or some other role in the back office for new companies/start-ups that cannot afford to employ full-time MBA aspirants. Working as an MBA, you will need to do all the basic aspects of everything like- administration, team leader, presentation skills, communication skills, sales, etc. You will get the experience of office work through part-time jobs.
• Blogger/ Content Writer
You can become a part-time blogger with your own website where you can write, post videos, etc on an MBA or some other topic. You need to write very good content and with real data related to the topic, you are choosing. You can also answer the questions of the students through your web-page. Becoming a blogger/ content writer helps you to gather traffic which is a very good way of earning money. You don’t need to be a Digital Marketing expert from the start; you can always learn it through your own website and also become a digital marketer. A lot of digital marketers have seen success in this process. The main motto is gathering customers by influencing the customers through your ideas in the blog/content.
To sum it all, though the MBA itself is a vast area of opportunities, still, after MBA courses, you need to pursue certifications and courses to gain an extra edge in your career.
So, I guess now you have a fair idea about courses and career choices after MBA you have to achieve your career goals. I answered some of the basic questions in this article relating to- what after MBA?
Many companies and organizations in today’s life are looking for specialized, innovative, and expert MBA aspirants to get a better outcome in the specified field. I have discussed what these MBA specializations teach and the career opportunities each of them offer, so go through the information I mentioned above and take the right decision so that you can become the future manager of any company. Everything has its own pros and cons but still, you have to make a choice and it should be your own decision so that later you don’t regret/ blame someone else.
Last but not least- good luck with your career.