These Could be Your Career Choices If You Hold a Degree in Mechanical Engineering
You just completed your Mechanical Engineering degree and now you wish to know what all options are there from which you can choose and pursue your career. While, most of the students already decide their way ahead while studying, but if you still want to explore the other options available after mechanical engineering then you have come on the right page.
Mechanical Engineering is one of the core subjects in engineering and by far the toughest branch to study. But there are ample opportunities for you in the job sector. Here I will be listing out some options for a career after mechanical engineering. These will give you a direction as to how you should move forward and if you have still not decided then you can choose any option depending upon your interests.
One of the easiest options for Mechanical graduates is that they choose campus jobs through the various campus drives that are organized by the college. After mechanical engineering, no one has the time to go around running and finding jobs.
But you need to have a good grade sheet from the starting of your first year only then will you be able to get into it.
Almost every Mechanical engineer aims for this goal. If you are really serious about getting into it then you should at least start preparing for it from the final year, so that you get enough time and give your best shot after mechanical engineering.
There are various government organizations where you can try-
- Indian Railways
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)
- Indian Armed Forces
- Indian Oil Corporation (IOC)
- Defense Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
- Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO)
You can also go for higher studies in your technical field (MTech) or non- technical field (MBA).
After Mechanical Engineering many students wish to go abroad or continue to complete their masters from India. In India, IITs are the most respected institutions to go for your masters. In order to get into it you need to first appear for the GATE exam. There are many specializations available for you to pursue further in-
- Solid mechanics
- Fluid mechanics
- Masters in Simulation-Driven Engineering (SDE)
- Design, Manufacturing, and Tribology
- Dynamics, control, Robotics, and Neural Engineering
MBA after mechanical engineering is one of the booming career opportunities and many youngsters are now going towards this option. You can opt for MBA in India through various examinations like CAT, MAT, XAT, CMAT, etc.
And if you wish to get your masters degree from abroad then you need to appear for GMAT which is then followed by clearing the language tests such as – TOEFL for the US and Canada, while IELTS for UK, Australia, New Zealand, etc.
Ever wanted to be like Neil Armstrong or Kalpana Chawla? Or you always design, manufacture, or maintain aircraft, missiles, and weapons systems, then this is the field for you to go into.
There is an ample amount of duties in this field namely-
- Making new technologies for space aircraft, aviation, and defense
- Designing, gathering and examining aircraft and aerospace commodities
- Checking out damages or malfunctions in any equipment and the reason behind it
- Estimating the cost and utility of new projects which are to be launched
- Making sure that the product meets customer requirements, environmental challenges, safety measures, etc.
- Manufacturing aircraft and other components with the designing team.
This field is very evolving with new technologies coming in every day for the development and trying to make the product even more advanced. Organizations are always hiring aerospace engineers with various capacities.
- Hindustan Aeronautical Limited (HAL)
- National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL)
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
- Defense Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
Key skills needed for Aerospace Engineers are-
- Strong mathematical, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Technical knowledge
- Pays attention to detailing
- Has great communication skills, both verbal and written
- Time management skills
- Has a creative and innovative thinking
Always wanted to design an automobile? Then this is the field for you after mechanical engineering. This is one of the most exciting, demanding, and rewarding careers. You will be working with the best technologies to create products that will bring the thrill and the freedom of mobility at the same time.
With an ample amount of responsibilities, you will surely thrive in this field-
- Designing the automobile or modifying the existing one
- Solve any engineering problems or defects which could come with any manufactured product
- Plan and design future products
- Prepare a cost of the product
- Developing testing methods
- Supervise the mechanical staff under you
- Even working with other engineers like- aerospace, chemical, industrial, etc
Key skills needed for Automotive Engineers are-
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Understanding of electromechanical systems
- Knowledge of digital circuits
You can also go into this field after mechanical engineering where you will research and establish the processes, materials, and schemes used to derive assistance from nuclear energy and radiation. Many engineers from this field find industrial and medical uses of radioactive equipment- which are often used in medical diagnosis and treatment centers. Many others also specialize in the development of nuclear power for ships and spacecraft.
Duties of nuclear engineers-
- Design or make nuclear equipment such as reactor cores, radiation shielding, etc
- Write operational instructions to be used in nuclear plant operations or handling/disposing of nuclear waste
- Take responsible actions or ordering of plant shutdowns for safety measures
- Examining nuclear accidents and researching on it to make sure it doesn’t happen next time
- Performing nuclear tests
- Monitor nuclear operations facility and identify anything that could violate the safety measures
- Taking corrective measures during emergencies
Key skills needed for Nuclear Engineers are-
- You need to have great communication skills as your work is highly dependent on the ability to work with fellow technicians.
- Nuclear engineers need to design complex systems, so it is important that you have logical thinking so that your fellow technicians can follow the order.
- As nuclear engineers are prone to many hazards, it is important that you have great problem-solving skills which will be highly needed during emergencies.
- Having great math skills are very important as they needed in the use of principles of calculus, trigonometry, and other advanced topics.
As a mechanical engineer, you will be providing valuable solutions in the development of processes and products, ranging from small to larger designs. You will be working on all stages of product making, from researching, planning, designing, installing to the final commission of the product. This field is known as the most diverse field of all the engineering disciplines.
As a mechanical engineer, you will be having many responsibilities-
- Researching and the development of the product
- Improve manufacturing process
- Developing and using various new technologies
- If you’re on a higher role then you be managing people, projects
- Discussing and solving complex problems
- Making sure that the product is made in a suitable manner and will function properly
- Manage projects using engineering principles
- Produce detailed design outlines
- Recommend modifications in the design as per the prototype test results
- Monitoring and commissioning of plant and systems
- Work with other professional engineers, in the sector
Key skills you need to have-
- High level of technical and scientific knowledge which can then be implemented practically
- Precise written skills
- Good oral communication, and the confidence to talk to people
- Creative ability
- Time management
- Have good IT skills
- Ability to work well in a group
You may also like to read
You will be responsible for the regular running of equipment and machinery. Using computerized systems, you will inspect the routine maintenance and repairs. You will also be involved in the occasional manufacturing of devices that will be useful for maintenance purposes.
Your role is very vital for the manufacturing industry. Working with professionals, you will improve manufacturing facilities and reduce costly breakdowns.
As a maintenance manager, you’ll need to-
- Analyze the breakdown problems and find solutions to it
- Carry out inspections
- Ensure that there is a backup of the machinery in case of any breakdown
- Monitor and handle maintenance costs
- Deal with unexpected emergencies that could occur during the manufacturing process
- Make sure to improve the health and safety policies
- Control maintenance tool
- Make sure the equipment and machinery are working all the time
A key skill you’ll need to have-
- Business skills, as you will be managing the budgets of the equipment’s and also you will be leading a team of suppliers
- People management skills
- The ability to negotiate
- The confidence to respond to problems when in pressure
- Teamworking skills, so that you can work easily in a group
- Problem-solving skills
- Ability to lead and motivate the group
- Capacity to understand basic engineering functions
Computer-Aided Design (CAD) technician
These technicians combine their engineering, IT, mathematical knowledge to design buildings, machinery, and other products. CAD software is used to draw technical drawings and designs. If you work with architects and design engineers then you will be making 2D and 3D designs, these drawings are used at every stage of the project, it also helps in estimating costs in creating blueprints for manufacturing, etc.
As a CAD technician, you will need to-
- Prepare high- quality detailed designs for architects
- Use CAD software to make 2D and 3D models
- Calculate the costs and apply knowledge of materials and engineering principles
- Maintain authentic records
- Conduct site visits as and when required
- Provide accurate drawings
- Ensure that the drawings are compliant with the health and safety measures
- Prepare drawings of all stages that will be needed for the project
Key skills that you will need to have-
- Knowledge of engineering principles
- Teamwork as you will be working in a team
- Mathematical calculations as they will be needed for drawing designs
- Ability to solve problems even when under pressure
- Knowledge of health and safety requirements
- Organization and time management
- Have design skills to visualize your projects in 2D or 3D
- Attention to details and create accurate designs
In this profession after mechanical engineering, the engineer is responsible for the operation, maintenance, and repair of all the mechanical equipment present on the ship. There are several mechanical systems that are present in the vessel like the electricity, power generation, etc. these all are included under the maintenance for the marine engineer.
Some of the important duties that marine engineers have to carry out are-
- The machinery systems in the vessel are divided amongst all the marine engineers, it is their duty to monitor and make sure that all are working in a proper condition
- Precise record-keeping and planning maintenance
- There are many marine engineers who just manage the transfer of fuel oil to the ship from the bunker station
- Marine engineers are responsible to revive the machinery in case of emergency breakdowns happen in the middle of the sea
- The marine engineer is also required to listen to the chief engineer who is the head of the engine room department of the ship.
A key skill you need to have to be a marine engineer-
- You need to have an interest in science, technology, and nautical matters
- You need to have practical as well as technical skills
- Problem-solving ability in times of pressure
- It is important that you have team skills and leadership qualities as you will be working in a team
- You need to have an eye for detail
- Mechanical skills
- Good communication skills
- Decision-making ability
- Computer skills
These are the options that you can look up to in case you are confused or you want to explore some options for a career after mechanical engineering. I hope these will help you in choosing your career and you will thrive in whatever you do.